Aaron,

there has been talk about exposing the data in Open library as LOD, but
the project is currently focused more on creating an interactive site
for humans rather than a manipulable data store, although ideally those
two could co-exist. Right now there is some linking to Wikipedia
personal names but not to dbpedia (as far as I know, but things change
quickly...) although as you know the Wikipedia link is just one short
step away from dbpedia. The number of names in Wiki/db is relatively
small, and the programmer working on the data manipulation, Edward
Betts, has found about 80K matches. Compared to the number of names in
the LC name authorities file that is really small. I would like to make
the link from the names in the bib records to the LCNA records to pick
up those record numbers as identifiers. No one wants to use the "library
form" in name displays, so without those identifiers we will lose the
uniqueness that name authority provides. Presumably, LCNA will
eventually be online and the data could be linked, thus picking up
alternative name forms. Similar experimentation is being done with place
names from subject headings.

The OL group has talked about linking to id.loc.gov, but in fact  the
project folks are mainly interested in getting away from the LCSH
structuring of subjects. I admit that I find it hard to defend LCSH in
the discussions about subjects and subject searching. ;-) I wish that we
had better access to both LC and Dewey classifications: the class
numbers, what they mean in words, and how they link to subject headings.

For anyone who wants to use the OL as simply data, there is a full
database dump done periodically, which you can find here:
   http://openlibrary.org/dev/docs/jsondump

I don't know much about it, but there is work being done with these
dumps at http://ol.dataincubator.org/

On another note, since the whole data set is quite large, one of the
current efforts is to make it possible to identify collections that
could be downloaded as sets of metadata or harvested using OAI. We might
be able to find better uses for those collections than for the entire db
which, as is the case with most large bibliographic databases, has a
fair amount of chaff for any given definition of wheat.

kc

--
[log in to unmask] http://www.kcoyle.net