On Fri, 28 Aug 2009, Keith Jenkins wrote:

> Hi, Tim.
>
> Are you are referring to a "find in page", where a user presses CTRL-F
> in the browser?
>
> If so, it will depend on the browser.  Google Chrome 2.0 will find
> matches regardless of the diacritics (i.e. user can type "placa" and
> it matches "plaça", and vice versa).  This doesn't seem to work in
> Firefox 3.0.13 or IE8.

Works in Safari 4.0.3, fails in Firefox 3.5.2

Here's a page to test with, using the correct (non-americanized) spelling
of my name:

 	http://www.frbr.org/2009/01/15/hourcle-frbr-applied-to-scientific-data

As for tricks to get it to work -- T\the closest HTML tag that I can think
of is 'ABBR' which isn't quite right:

 	<ABBR lang='fr' title='Hourcle'>Hourcl&eacute;</ABBR>

... and a quick test in Firefox 3.5 shows it doesn't help.

-Joe

(and no, it's not French, but it's a French spelling, so it'd clue the
pronunciation for screen readers correctly