It's not social bookmarking, but as far as "But I'm thinking now about
the possibility of a search engine limited to sites cooperatively vetted by
librarians, that would incorporate ranking by # links.  Something more
responsive than cataloging websites in our catalogs.", well, that's almost
exactly what lii.org is.

http://lii.org

I happen to think that authority is dead dead dead as a method of measuring
information worth, but that's just me. :-)

Jason

--
Follow me on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/griffey