On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 8:48 AM, O.Stephens <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> What we are considering is the best way to represent a web page (or similar - pdf etc.) in an OpenURL. It looks like we could do something as simple as:
>
> http://resolver.address/?
> &url_ver=Z39.88-2004
> &url_ctx_fmt=info:ofi/fmt:kev:mtx:ctx
> &rft_id=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk

Wait, are you using the target URL as a uniquely identifying key? URLs
can change not only location, but meaning. Consider:

What if www.bbc.co.uk changes address, and www.bbc.co.uk becomes
something else you want to link to? Then you'd have
&rft_id=http://www.bbc.co.uk really refer to http://new.example.co.uk,
and you'd need to use a dummy rft_id to refer to whatever new content
lives at http://www.bbc.co.uk.

Unless I'm totally confused as to what you're trying to do, this seems
like a bad idea. An artificial key is a better choice.

If you want something like tr.im, use something like tr.im.

Cheers,
-Nate