I do like Ross's solution, if you really wanna use OpenURL. I'm much
more comfortable with the idea of including a URI based on your own
local service in rft_id, then including any old public URL in rft_id.

Then at least your link resolver can say "if what's in rft_id begins
with (eg)  http://telstar.open.ac.uk/, THEN I know this is one of these
purl type things, and I know that sending the user to it will result in
a redirect to an end-user-appropriate access URL."

Cause that's my concern with putting random URLs in rft_id, that there's
no way to know if they are intended as end-user-appropriate access URLs
or not, and in putting things in rft_id that aren't really good
"identifiers" for the referent at all.   But using your own local
service ID, now you really DO have something that's appropriately
considered a "persistent identifier" for the referent, AND you have a
straightforward way to tell when the rft_id of this context is intended
as an access URL.

Jonathan