If it's a URI that is indeed an identifier that "unambiguously
identifies the referent", as the standard says...   I don't see how
that's inappropriate in rft_id. Isn't that what it's for?

I mentioned before that I put things like
http://catalog.library.jhu.edu/bib/1234 in my rft_ids.  Putting
http://somewhere.edu/our-purl-server/1234 in rft_id seems very analogous
to me.  Both seem appropriate.

I'm not sure what makes a URI "locally meaningful" or not.  What makes
http://www.worldcat.org/bibID or http://books.google.com/book?id=foo
"globally meaningful" but http://catalog.library.jhu.edu/bib/1234 or
http://somewhere.edu/our-purl-server/1234 "locally meaningful"?  If it's
a URI that is reasonably persistent and unambiguously identifies the
referent, then it's an identifier and is appropriate for rft_id, says me.

Jonathan