On Sep 16, 2009, at 4:01 PM, Cindy Harper wrote:

>> http://infomotions.com/highlights/
>
> We're just talking about creating an index, not a separate copy of the
> works, right?  because I imagine that copyright has a lot to do with
> why
> this type of thing doesn't already exist.

No, not just an index, but the real thing as well, usually.

The stuff I read falls roughly into two categories: 1) open to the
public, and 2) restricted. In my case, the former includes printed
articles from Wikipedia, articles from things like DLib Magazine,
reports from things like the DLF for public review and consumption.
All of these things I read, highlight & annotate, and eventually plan
to place in my system. Search my system. Find article. Download
original and/or download annotated version. The choice is the user's.

Items from the second category include "closed" access articles,
articles from Encyclopedia Britannica, internal library reports not
intended for outside readers, etc. These items will be read,
annotated, lightly reviewed -- just like the other items -- but they
will be saved in a restricted space. The user will (usually) be given
a URL to the original document, and if they are authorized, then they
will be able to get the item. Even though I believe my annotations
connote a derivative work -- like the Annotated Alice -- I don't have
the hutzpah to make them "freely" available.

In my system I plan to "add value" to the articles and redistribute
them as well as provide links to the original.

--
Eric Lease Morgan