If you are into the history of how it all came about, "The Dream
Machine: J.C.R. Licklider and the revolution that made computing
personal" is a good read.  It is a little dense at times, but well
worth the read.

ISBN: 014200135X

-nruest

On Sep 9, 2009, at 4:15 PM, Jon Gorman wrote:

> For those who enjoyed "The Mythical Man-Month" I'd also recommend
> Peopleware (not the software, the book ;) ).
>
> Jon
>
> On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 2:58 PM, stuart
> yeates<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> I can't speak highly enough about "The Mythical Man-Month," by Fred
>> P.
>> Brooks (1975).
>>
>> Let's just say that when they issued the 20th anniversary edition,
>> they
>> didn't need to update the examples in the text.
>>
>> cheers
>> stuart

>>> Complete" and "Software Project Survival Guide;" "The Mythical
>>> Man-Month," by Fred P. Brooks; "Joel On Software" by Joel Spolsky
>>> (who
>>> also has a blog); and "The Elements of Programming Style," by
>>> Kernigan
>>> and Plauger. K&R is directed at the C programming language, but
>>> there
>>> are enough similarities in syntax with PHP, Java, and a lot of other
>>> web developer languages that I think it's still relevant.
>>>
>>> Sharon M. Foster, JD, MLS
>>> Technology Librarian
>>> http://firstgentrekkie.blogspot.com/

>> --
>> Stuart Yeates
>> http://www.nzetc.org/       New Zealand Electronic Text Centre
>> http://researcharchive.vuw.ac.nz/     Institutional Repository

Nick Ruest
Digital Strategies Librarian

McMaster University
Mills Memorial Library
1280 Main Street West
Hamilton, ON L8S 4L6
Phone: 905.525.9140 ext. 21276
Email: [log in to unmask]
http://library.mcmaster.ca/contact/ruest-nicholas
http://nruest.blog.lib.mcmaster.ca/

"Revolution is not something fixed in ideology, nor is it something
fashioned to a particular decade.  It is a personal process embedded
in the human spirit." - Abbie Hoffman