Posted on behalf of the NISO I2 Library Workflows Scenario Group

This is a reposting soliciting participation in a survey on
institutional identifiers to support library workflows in the digital
information space.  We are extending the survey deadline to FRIDAY
SEPTEMBER 25.  The responses received to date have been tremendously
helpful and will defintely  inform and guide the work of this group.
Thank to all of you who have already participated.  If you have not yet
participated, I encourage you to do so.  The survey is 11 questions and
takes no more than 15 minutes to complete.

The survey link is: http://bit.ly/qyKaZ

The original call for the survey, explaining its purpose, is below.

ORIGINAL CALL FOR SURVEY PARTICIPATION:

NISO has identified the need for an institutional identifier to enable
information transactions among uniquely identified entities across the
Web.  The NISO Institutional Identifier (I2) working group has been
established to develop a robust, scalable and interoperable standard for
identifying the institution--a core entity in any information transaction.

Institutions create, purchase, share and establish the provenance and
authority of information for their users.  Libraries have been among the
earliest adopters of institutional identifiers, from the published union
catalog of library cards with NUC identifiers to interlibrary lending
using the MARC code list for Organizations.  These identifiers have
reached their limits in terms of extensibility, scale and uniqueness.
As non-actionable identifiers, they lack the currency and functionality
to support information management in the global web environment.

This identifier strategy must work in the global information space and
support the business model and needs of all the
stakeholders---commercial information and service providers,
institutions, creators, rights holders and users. It must integrate
smoothly with existing workflows and processes and enable future
workflows within the information chain.

Libraries are major participants in global information sharing and have
critical needs for institutional identifiers within their own
organizations, for consortial activities and to share information with
other institutions and their users worldwide.  Legacy identifiers are
embedded in most core library workflows.  Understanding and supporting
the needs of libraries is critical for the development of an
institutional identifier strategy that is robust and useful for the long
term.

Please assist us by taking part in a brief survey about the use of
institutional identifiers in libraries.  More than individual can
contribute from a library since the use of identifiers differs across
library workflow areas.   The survey consists of 11 questions that are
largely multiple choice and takes about 15 minutes to complete.

Thank  you for your assistance with this effort.  Your participation is
important to us.

PLEASE ACCESS THE SURVEY HERE:  http://bit.ly/qyKaZ

Grace Agnew and Mark Needleman
Co-chairs, NISO I2 Library Workflows Scenario Group

Grace Agnew
Associate University Librarian for Digital Library Systems
Library Technical Services Building
47 Davidson Road
Piscataway, NJ 08854-5603

PH: (732) 445-5908