On Sep 23, 2009, at 9:19 AM, Jonathan Rochkind wrote:

> Thanks!  So $v, $x, $y, and $z should always get a "--" before them
> -- that's sufficient logic to do it 'right'?  I guess an LCSH 6xx
> always needs an $a first, so I don't need to worry about if a $v or
> $x happens to come first, and shouldn't get a preceding "--".
>
> Should I do this only for 6xx with 2nd indicator 2 indicating LCSH,
> or do people generally just do this for all 6xx?

Our ancient hardcopy MARC 21 manual says the dash preceding any of
those subfields is a display constant, and there is no mention of
indicator-based display logic.  So no need to worry about the
indicators.

I suspect this is ISBD punctuation.  If so, it's probably the only
ISBD punctuation that is, sensibly, not carried in the data.

On Sep 23, 2009, at 9:20 AM, Jonathan Rochkind wrote:

> Hey, and it occurs to me, in an HTML display, it might be better to
> use an actual em-dash than the traditional two hyphens too?  Since
> the LC documentation just talks about "dash" -- two hyphens is how
> you approximate an em-dash in ascii of course, but we're not living
> in ascii anymore!

In fact, the old MARC 21 Format for Bibliographic Data print manual
uses the em-dash.  I would agree that the "--" is legacy, probably
from the days of printing cards on impact printers with the old
Library of Congress print train.

If you go for the em-dash, it will be interesting to see how long it
takes for someone complain about the change from the double dashes.

-Tod