Huh, I can't even FIND a section 9.1 in the z39.88 standard. Are we
looking at the same z39.88 standard? Mine only goes up to chapter 4.  Oh
wait, there it is in Chapter 3, section 9.1 okay.

While that example contains an http URI, I would say it's intended as an
unambiguous identifier URI that happens to use an http schema, not an
end-user access URL.  Although the weird thing is, in every other
context the docs use an info:sid uri for rfr_id, to the extent that I
thought you were REQUIRED to use an info:sid in rfr_id, I didn't even
know you could use an HTTP uri as that example does, weird.  For
instance, while chapter 3 Section 9.1 uses that example of
rfr_id=http://www.sciencedirect.com, over on page 14 in Chapter 1, they
use this example for the same entity:  rfr_id =
info:sid/elsevier.com:ScienceDirect

It certainly doesn''t surprise anymore when the z3988 standard contains
ambiguity or confusing/conflicting examples.

I wonder if there's more on this that is conflicting or confusing in the
"scholarly format" application profiles, or in the "KEV implementation
guidelines."  Probably. Yep, that's where I got the rfr_id=sid idea
from!   The "KEV implementation guideilines" say: "Referrer Identifiers
are defined in the source identifier Namespace `info:ofi/nam:info:sid:'.
They are identified using the `info:sid/' scheme for the identification
of collections."  It is unclear how the "KEV Implementation Guidelines"
justify saying that a rfr_id is always info:sid, when the actual z39.88
actually uses an http rfr_id example.  Who knows which one was the mistake.

Seriously, don't use OpenURL unless you really can't find anything else
that will do, or you actually want your OpenURLs to be used by the
existing 'in the wild' OpenURL resolvers. In the latter case, don't
count on them doing anything in particular or consistent with 'novel'
OpenURLs, like ones that put an end-user access URL in rft_id... don't
expect actually existing in the wild OpenURLs to do anything in
particular with that.

Jonathan