What the spec for z39.88 says is that rfr_id (and all the other _id's)
must be URIs.

the info:sid samespace was defined to allow minting of identifiers for
the specific purpose of identifying referrers. the info uri was
defined to allow non-resolving identifiers to have a place to live
within URI-land.

Documents written by standards committees are often not as clear as
they should be, but its hard to get consensus across an industy
without getting a committee together. Social process is so much harder
than technology.