Of course it's possible.  But if you're counting on all (or a majority)
of actually in-the-wild resolvers to do a certain thing, you should
probably do some investigation to see if that assumption is true. Some
probably do some probably don't. If the usefulness of your technique
depends on most doing so, then you should check it.

And if the usefulness of your technique does NOT count on being
inter-operable with existing link resolver infrastructure... PERSONALLY
I would be using OpenURL, I don't think it's worth it.

Incidentally, I have been unhappy with the "pre-check a http URL before
giving it to the user" technique. First of all, WAY too much stuff on
the web still returns an HTTP 200 OK response message for what are in
fact error pages (including MOST of our licensed scholarly content
providers). Secondly, even if it's not an error page, there's no way for
pre-checking to tell you WHAT the page has, what it represents and how
useful it might be to the user. I don't think it serves the user well to
say "Here's a URL that'll give you something related to this citation,
click on it to find out what." I want to tell them if it's going to be
full text, or just a description, or what.  As well as have the software
be able to display it differently depending. I think that's important to
making the service useful.

Jonathan