I still think that rft_id IS meant to be a unique identifier!  Again,
5.2.1 of z3988 says of the *_id fields:

"An Identifier Descriptor unambiguously specifies the Entity by means of
a Uniform Resource Identifier
(URI)."

I guess 'unambiguous' isn't exactly the same thing as 'unique',
depending on what you mean by 'unique', okay.  But it's pretty clear to
me that rft_id is meant to be an identifier for the referent. Meaning
the same rft_id should not correspond to two different referents. (But
the same referent can certainly have multiple rft_id's, although it's
inconvenient when it has multiple ones within the same scheme/system, it
happens and is not disastrous).