On 09/02/2009 09:55 AM, Houghton,Andrew wrote:
> [...]

That's probably why David said "should".  Or, "SHOULD".  :-)

The III crawler has been a pain for years and Innovative has shown no interest
in cleaning it up.  It not only ignores robots.txt, but it hits target servers
just as fast and hard as it can.  If you have a lot of links that a lot of III
catalogs check, its behavior is indistinguisable from a DOS attack.  (I know
because our journals server often used to crash about 2:00am on the first of
the month...)

> However, if you have publicly accessible URIs it is highly unlikely
> that you would restrict access to those of URIs in your robots.txt.
> It kink-of defeats the purpose of the URIs being *public*.

True.  I think it's reasonable at this point to ask crawlers to support both
robots.txt, and also sitemap.xml for information on public pages and how often
to check them.

--
Thomas Dowling