Oh yeah, one thing I left off --

In Moodle, it would probably make sense to link to the URL in the <a> tag:
but use a javascript onMouseDown action to rewrite the link to route
through your funky link resolver path, a la Google.

That way, the page works like any normal webpage, "right mouse
click->Copy Link Location" gives the user the "real" URL to copy and
paste, but normal behavior funnels through the link resolver.

-Ross.