Thanks Ross - very helpful

> That being
> said, unless you can definitely offer some other service
> besides linking to the resource, I'd avoid the resolver menu
> completely.

Agreed - this is generally envisaged as a fulltext service. I can see some benefit to other options - the Open University is almost 100% distance learning, so there may be an argument for pushing students to local library services, but in the first instance the idea is that links are to full-text or nothing.

We are also planning to include options to not display a link at all, or to use the link within the reference directly, bypassing the OpenURL method I'm proposing.

> In Moodle, it would probably make sense to link to the URL in
> the <a> tag:
> javascript onMouseDown action to rewrite the link to route
> through your funky link resolver path, a la Google.

I'll pass that on to the Moodle devs - the only issue I can see with this is that copy and paste is such a generic action it's going to be difficult to know whether one behaviour or the other is the best way to go. I've got some student focus groups coming up so it maybe I can explore this with them (if I've got time - there is a lot to talk to them about!)

Owen

Owen Stephens
TELSTAR Project Manager
Library and Learning Resources Centre