Montana State Library has about 4000 objects (state publications) to upload
to the Internet Archive and Open Library. Would like to automate as much of
this as possible. For each object, I need to produce to an upload folder named
with unique identifier. In this folder, among other things, I need to put the
upload object and a metadata xml file which I intend to crosswalk from a marc
record (a .mrc file).

We are SirsiDynix shop (running on top of Oracle) and otherwise have a
windows environment (but would like to hear about whatever process works
regardless of platform). I am attracted to the z3950 interface for pulling marc
record data which I then propose to crosswalk to the metadata xml file
required by the Internet Archive.

Getting the .mrc file can be done manually using a z3950 client. However, I
want to address the z3950 client in a script loop and pull and process .mrc
data for each object. Can this be done? It appears yaz can be controlled from
the command line and that I might be able to loop it using the shell? Not sure
however if this can be done from a dos shell. If not, other thoughts are in
order about what might be the best way to do this? Thanks ...