AbleGrape.com is a good example of a focused search engine that aims
to index only "authoritative" sources within a particular disciple --
in this case it's wine, enology, and viticulture.  It currently crawls
about 40,000 vetted websites.

It's a great search engine for the subject area it serves, and it
probably helped that the creator was a VP at Inktomi.

Keith