Thanks Rosalyn,

As you say we could push a custom value into rfr_genre. I'm a bit torn on this, as I guess I'm trying to do something that isn't 'hacky' - or at least not from the OpenURL end of it. It might be that this is just wishful thinking, and that I'm just trying to fool myself into thinking I'm 'sticking to the standard' when the likelihood of what I'm doing being transferrable to other scenarios is zero (although Eric's comments make me hope not)

Yes, we are using SFX. What I'm proposing on the SFX end as the path of least resisitance is writing a source parser for our learning environment which can do a 'fetch' for an alternative URL, or use the primary URL, and put it in an SFX internal field rft_856. We can then use the existing Target Parser 856_URL which displays the contents of rft_856 in the menu. Combined with some logic which forces this as the only option under certain circumstances we can then push the user directly to the resulting URL.

Owen

Owen Stephens
TELSTAR Project Manager
Library and Learning Resources Centre