This is indeed an interesting problem - we are all dependent on a
centralized service node.

Just got off the phone with GPO 9 am 9/1/09.
I was told they are now up to 50% or PURLs restored but the script is
running very slowly line-by-line since the server (they're updating the
production server while it is up) is experiencing unusually heavy load
from the user community and bots scheduled to troll at beginning of the
month.

Jonathan LeBreton
Sr. Associate University Librarian
Temple University Libraries
voice: 215-204-8231
fax: 215-204-5201
email:  [log in to unmask]
email:  [log in to unmask]

Of
> James Jacobs
> Sent: Monday, August 31, 2009 6:06 PM
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] GPO PURLs
>
> Hi all, (cross-posted to purl-dev)
>
> I'm a documents librarian (and member of the Depository Library
> Council)
> and usually just a lurker over here. Thanks Keith and Patricia for the
> easy workaround. I shared this with govdoc-l and on my blog:
>
> http://freegovinfo.info/node/2704
>
> See especially the comment that as of today, only 3,677 PURLs out of
> 116,237 have been restored (3.1%). I would love to hear your
> thoughts/ideas for how this kind of critical system failure can be
> averted in the future from a technological standpoint. Is it possible
> mirror a purl server? Will the same issue occur when GPO moves to
> handles in FDsys (http://www.handle.net/)? Will a distributed
> infrastructure as I've briefly mapped out be able to handle these
types
> of critical system crashes better?
>
> Please let me know and I'd be happy to share your ideas with GPO and
> the
> documents community.
>
> Best,
>
> James Jacobs
>

> Keith Jenkins wrote:
> > Thanks to everyone who helped me confirm that the GPO PURL server is
> > down.  An official announcement on the GPO Listserv said:
> >    "The PURL Server is currently inaccessible. GPO is working with
IT