I don't see this as an interesting difference at all. Almost all
[larger] vendor-supplied products in the library world have their own
discussion lists that are limited to people that use/license their
products. We even see this with Open Source products such as Koha.
Although I do not use AquaBrowser, unlike almost all other library
specific-software of this magnitude I understand that AquaBrowser does
not have a user group (formal or informal). There currently is very few
ways (no way?) for users of this product to converse with each other and
share ideas.

There are numerous reasons for wanting to share information on a closed
list that can range from not wanting to spam a larger community with a
"how do activate a widget in product A" to asking questions/sharing
information that for whatever reason you don't want to or can't share
with the whole world (e.g. non-disclosure agreements, public relations
concerns, privacy concerns, not wanting your name in open archives
attached to something, etc.).  In fact, in some cases you may not even
want the vendor on the list the way some Voyager systems administrators
created a list that excluded Endeavor (and now Ex Libris) and
non-systems people at Voyager sites. This made people feel much more
comfortable asking questions that maybe they would otherwise be
embarrassed or reluctant to ask.

I applaud Kathryn for taking the initiative to organize the AquaBrowser
community by creating the AquaBrowser Libraries Group. From what I
understand from people that use the product this is something that is
overdue for the community.

What the library technology world needs is more people like Kathryn that
try to build community to help each other with whatever software product
they are using. Sure, in a perfect world maybe everything would be
completely Open but that is not reality. People that take initiative
should be praised. They should not be met with snarky comments.

Edward