I wonder if you could do it in Solr itself, instead of SolrMarc?  As an
input filter (I forget the exact technical language for this, but
there's something you can set to do this task in Solr); which you don't
need to get it built into the Solr distro to do, Solr allows you to have
your own custom plugins like this in the lib directory, and specify in
them in the schema.xml and such. I think. Just a brainstorming idea,
don't know enough details about Solr to know if it would work well for
sure. But if it would, I wonder if putting it configuration in Solr
itself is preferable to SolrMarc, for wider sharing/utility of code with
anyone using Solr but not neccesarily using SolrMarc.