Are you arguing that reCaptcha cannot be accessible or that it is
incorrectly implemented on this site?

Usually recaptcha is a good example of a robot blocker that is
accessible to print-disabled users. The notion that javascript cannot
be used in an accessible website is obsolete (it's not 2000 any more).
There are javascript techniques that make sites inaccessible, just as
there are html techniques that make the site accessible. There are
javascript techniques that INCREASE accessibility.

Good resources:
http://www.webaim.org/techniques/javascript/
http://www.w3.org/WAI/

I've recently been learning about accessibility issues (read my blog
to learn how selling p-only books may one day be unlawful)

On Oct 1, 2009, at 10:21 AM, MJ Ray wrote:

> Andrew P wrote:
>> Also worth mentioning is a new site SiteCite.com that
>> allows you to organize web links with custom URLs.  It was created
>> by a library programmer and has
>> discovery tools so that bookmarks are easily retrievable. [...]
>
> I'm surprised that a library programmer has put the "We need to make
> sure you are a human" Google-reCaptcha insult on their sign up page.
> It's even on their contact form, so we can't even tell them about it.
> (If you don't see the messages which suggest disabled users are not
> humans, try disabling javascript - javascript is usually disabled by
> default with noscript.net because it's confusing when things you don't
> see perfectly start moving themselves around the page.)
>
> I strongly suggest people don't promote siteCite.com until they drop
> reCaptcha.  The "re" should stand for "remove".
>
> Thanks,
> --
> MJ Ray (slef)  LMS developer and webmaster at     | software
> www.software.coop http://mjr.towers.org.uk        |  .... co
> IMO only: see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/email.html |  .... op

Eric Hellman
President, Gluejar, Inc.