On Thursday, October 01, 2009 2:02 PM, Eric Lease Morgan wrote:
>Specifically, once I install ActiveState Perl on a Windows computer, will I be able to install MARC::Batch and all of its friends as well?

I have no problems running ActiveState Perl with the MARC::Batch/MARC::Record distribution set of modules. The only problems I've experienced were with MARC::Charset and MARC::File::XML. I haven't had a significant need to use these modules, but when I attempted to install them, if I recall correctly, I had trouble with the XML parsing modules/dependencies/set-up. Someone with more experience working with XML parsing modules would likely be more successful.

Also, when installing MARC::Lint and MARC::Errorchecks through ppm, I believe ppm may complain or fail to install one of the modules due to the overlapping MARC::Lint::CodeData module included with both.

After installing the MARC::* modules using ppm, I'll usually manually update all of the .pm files with the most recent copy (from SourceForge), placing each in its appropriate spot in C:\Perl\site\lib\MARC\. I believe this manual process may be part of the source of my problems with Charset and XML (though for those, I have attempted to follow the official/standard automated installation process).

I hope this helps,

Bryan Baldus
http://home.inwave.com/eija