I had the same problems with MARC:Charset and MARC:File:XML.  Had to compile them myself using Microsoft's nmake program.

Here's my less-than-ideal notes.  I may have missed some things at the end here, too.  Sorry, I switched to using yaz-dump instead, since that did what I wanted.

1. Install ActiveState Perl
2. Download and unpack 'nmake' from microsoft [1] drop files in perl/bin
3. Restart the computer (to get the env varirables set)
4. Lanuch ppm from the command line, install:
     * marc-record
     * xml-sax
     * xml-sax-expat
5. Run this from the command line to fix an oversight in the ppm install
 perl -MXML::SAX -e "XML::SAX->add_parser('XML::SAX::Expat')->save_parsers()"
6. Download and unpack MARC::Charset and MARC:File:XML
7. Go into each of the directories created for those and issue this from the command line:
 perl Makefile.pl
 nmake
 nmake test
 nmake install