Bess Sadler schrieb:

> So, thoughts? Anyone know more about this than I do and want to speak up?

I'd second Demian's and Jonathan's statements: Do that in Solr by using
a Filter (either at indexing or search time).
You want to solve that using an algorithm that translates american
transcription into chinese, correct? If you have that algorithm (is
there one?), it's a perfect job for a filter and I guess there are use
cases outside libraryland as well. It's not only us dealing with
transcription of chinese...
If I misunderstood your approach and you want to use a dictionary to map
the different transcriptions, solr.SynonymFilterFactory could provide a
solution.
(http://wiki.apache.org/solr/AnalyzersTokenizersTokenFilters#solr.SynonymFilterFactory)

Till

--
Till Kinstler
Verbundzentrale des Gemeinsamen Bibliotheksverbundes (VZG)