On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 11:50 PM, Jonathan Rochkind <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Bucknell, Terry wrote:
>
>> Note that as well as registering DOIs for the articles in LLT, LLT would
>> be obliged to link to the articles cited by LLT articles (for cited articles
>> that have DOIs too).
>>

> Huh, I didn't know that. I understand the motivation, but investigating
> whether every cited article has a DOI and then making sure to include it...
> is non-trivial labor.

It does allow precise "cited by" measures:
http://www.crossref.org/citedby.html

This is where CrossRef's awesomeness comes in:
http://www.crossref.org/guestquery/#stqsearch

http://www.crossref.org/SimpleTextQuery/

as well as various experiments:
http://labs.crossref.org/
CrossRef does have certain free, lookup services which might be appropriate
for services like Umlaut, if you can sign a licensing agreement.

-Jodi