So I have no actual experience with this.

But you have to pay for DOI's.  I've never done it, but I don't think
you neccesarily have to run your own purl server -- CrossRef takes care
of it.  Of course, if your documents are going to be moving all over the
place, if you run your own purl server and register your purls with
CrossRef, then when a document moves, you can update your local purl
server; otherwise, you can update CrossRef, heh.

It certainly is useful to have DOIs, I agree.  I would suggest they
should just contact cross-ref and get information on the cost, and what
their responsibilities are, and then they'll be able to decide.  If the
'structure of their content' is journal articles, then, sure DOI is
pretty handy for people wanting to cite or link to those articles.

Jonathan