I thought that marc-ruby did MARC8 already!  Wait, does it just do it in
'native' ruby interpreter, but not in jruby?

I'm dealing with records in MARC8 now I think with marc-ruby, and it
looked like the non-roman characters were coming accross okay! I might
need to go investigate my setup further now....

Jonathan