More info here too:

http://www.handle.net/introduction.html

This handle stuff is interesting, but I don't entirely understand it.

I guess if the Global Handle Service really went down, it would be
similar to a root-level DNS server going down -- you'd be in trouble,
somewhat mitigated by whatever data your local resolver had cached.

Of course, CNRI maintains several failover mirrors of the Global Handle
Service for that reason. (Much as we'd hope all the root-level DNS
servers are thorougly failover-ed).

Jonathan