To my knowledge, ProQuest does not have a web service that returns XML but you can use Z39.50 or ftp to retrieve MARC records and then flip them to XML locally.  If you use Digital Commons (bepress IR product), it provides an OAI-PMH and SRU interface to the same records downstream as XML.  Hope this helps you.

-
Michael Witt, Purdue University
Interdisciplinary Research Librarian
Assistant Professor of Library Science