I don't think this has made code4lib, and I thought that people might be interested to see the results of the recent 'MOSAIC' competition which challenged developers to find ways of exploiting library usage data (specifically circulation stats)

The results were announced last month, and I think there are some interesting prototypes in there - see http://blog.iedemonstrator.org/2009/10/22/jisc-mosiac-project-competition-winners/ for a rundown of the winners and some highly commended entries

For full disclosure - I did enter the competition, and my entry gets an honorable mention - but I'd highlight especially the 1st and 2nd place entries. I think the 1st is an intriguing way of visualising the data - perhaps opening up some opportunities for seredipitous discovery - it definitely drew me in and had me browsing to unexpected places. I love the 2nd place entry in terms of putting a financial value on what a library has provided for a course.

Anyway - I hope others find these prototypes of interest.

Owen

Owen Stephens
TELSTAR Project Manager
Library and Learning Resources Centre