Back in 2007, I had a different job, different email address and lived
in a different state.  Things change.  If people are sending emails to
[log in to unmask] to fix the library web services, they are going
to be sorely disappointed and should perhaps check
http://www.library.gatech.edu/about/staff.php for updates.

purl.org has been going through a massive architecture change for the
better part of a year now -- which has finally been completed.  It was
a slightly messy transition but they migrated from their homegrown
system to one designed by Zepheira.

I feel like predicting the demise of HTTP and worrying about a
services' ability to handle other protocols is unnecessary hand
wringing.

I still have a telephone (two, in fact).  Both my cell phone and VOIP
home phone are still able to communicate flawlessly with a POTS dial
phone.

My car still has an internal combustion engine based on petroleum.  It
still doesn't fly or even hover.  My wall outlets still accept a plug
made in the 1960s.

PURLs themselves are perfectly compatible with protocols other than HTTP:
http://purl.org/NET/rossfsinger/ftpexample

The caveat being that the initial access point is provided via HTTP.

But then again, so is http://hdl.handle.net/, which, in fact, the only
way currently in practice to dereference handles.

My point is, there's a lot of energy, resources and capital invested
in HTTP.  Even if it becomes completely obsolete, my guess I can still
type "http://purl.org/dc/terms" in spdy://google.com/ and find
something about what I'm looking for.

-Ross.