From: Code for Libraries [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ken Irwin [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 23 November 2009 19:41
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] calling another webpage within CGI script

Hi Joe,

That's really helpful, thanks.
Actually finding out what the error message is nice:

HTTP Error : 500 Can't connect to www.npr.org:80 (connect: Permission denied)

I've tried this with a few websites and always get the same error, which tells me that the problem is on my server side. Any idea what I can change so I don't get a permission-denied rejection? I'm not even sure what system I should be looking at.

I tried Vishwam's suggestion of granting 777 permissions to both the file and the directory and I get the same response.

Is there some Apache setting someplace that says "hey, don't you go making web calls while I'm in charge"?

(This is a Fedora server running Apache, btw).

I don't know what to poke at!

Ken

---