Have you thought about queueing these requests up instead of running them simultaneously?  For example, getElementByClass could establish an array of elements and call goAndGetIt on the first element in the array...  then the AJAX callback established by goAndGetIt could remove the processed element from the array on completion and call goAndGetIt on the next element, etc., etc.

- Demian