Thanks, Erik, there is no specific reason for their removal, I think this was just that the StopFilterFactory is preconfigured in the analyzer chain for fieldType=text.  We will do some performance testing with this filter removed.

BTW, a useful tool in deciding appropriate stopwords is the schema browser, which can be found on the /solr/admin page.  Here you can see term frequencies for each of the fields sorted from highest frequency to help weed out the terms of little querying value.

Eric