Thanks for the input so far.

Ben, another problem with digestibility of the search results is that it's
not XHTML, and therefore not well-formed XML, making it impossible to
process with XPath.

I think I'll experiment with the Solr solution, but like the AutoSuggester
being developed at OCLC, the index would be fairly static unless there was a
way to pull updates from LOC into it.

Ethan