Greetings, and apologies for cross-posting. In the coming months I will
be compiling a Library Technology Report
(http://www.alatechsource.org/ltr/index) that investigates one of the
more under-the-radar/utilitarian library technologies of recent years,
web-based voice and video calling and conferencing via platforms such as
Skype, GTalk, and DimDim. In this report I hope to tackle both the
benefits and drawbacks of VoIP as a public service, instruction,
collaboration, and communication medium, and as such am seeking
real-world library use cases, direct experiences, frustrations,
workarounds and success stories that illustrate practical challenges and
benefits of web voice and video to achieve various ends.

I hope to learn about/from individuals and libraries who use web video
and calling either to provide education or public services such as
distance instruction or video reference or as their main telephone
infrastructure, and for individuals  with virtual participation
experience at conferences and the like. This is meant to be a
troubleshooting guide as well as a technology primer, so *any*
experience using VoIP in library services (for better or worse,
technical or nontechnical) is sought. Anyone who has worked with this
technology and would like to offer an opinion or experience to be
profiled in the report (or not, if you prefer), your input is
invaluable. This would consist of answering a few quick questions via
phone or email, or simply pointing me to a URL, etc. Also, leads to
known VoIP-based library programs at other institutions are much
appreciated.

Please feel free to contact me on or off-list, and many thanks. I'll
provide a summary of pertinent responses if there is interest expressed.
FYI, I'm the E-Learning Librarian at UC Berkeley, and I blog at
www.infomational.com.

Best.

Char

--