I think you may find yourself somewhat in the minority in thinking
Apache is bad software. (I certainly have my complaints about it, but in
general I find it more robust, flexible, and bug-free than just about
any other software I work with).

But aside from getting into a war about some particular package:  It may
be true that in general popular software does not necessarily equal good
software -- even popular open source software.  And doesn't neccesarily
equal the right software solution for your problem. (I could mention
some library-sector-origin open source software I think proves that, but
I won't, and it would just be my opinion anyways, like yours of Apache).

But popular software _does_ mean software that has a much higher chance
of continuing to evolve with the times instead of stagnating, getting
it's bugs and security flaws fixed in a timely manner, and having a much
larger base of question-answering and support available for it (both
free and paid).

Which is one important criteria for evaluating open source software. But
nobody was suggesting it should be the _only_ criteria used for
evaluating open source software, or even neccesarily the most important.
It depends on your situation.

Jonathan