From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Glen Newton
Sent: 21 December 2009 17:52
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [CODE4LIB] Character problems with tictoc

[I realise there was a recent related 'Character-sets for dummies'[1]
discussion recently]

I am using tictocs[2] list of journal RSS feeds, and I am getting
gibberish in places for diacritics. Below is an example:

in emacs:
 221	Acta Ortop  dica Brasileira	http://www.scielo.br/rss.php?pid=1413-7852&lang=en	1413-7852
in Firefox:
 221	Acta Ortop  dica Brasileira	http://www.scielo.br/rss.php?pid=1413-7852&lang=en	1413-7852

Note that the emacs view is both of a save of the Firefox, and from a
direct download using 'wget'.

Is this something on my end, or are the tictocs people not serving
proper UTF-8?

The HTTP header from wget claims UTF-8:
> wget -S http://www.tictocs.ac.uk/text.php
> --2009-12-21 12:47:59--  http://www.tictocs.ac.uk/text.php
> Resolving www.tictocs.ac.uk... 130.88.101.131
> Connecting to www.tictocs.ac.uk|130.88.101.131|:80... connected.
> HTTP request sent, awaiting response...
>   HTTP/1.1 200 OK
>   Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 17:42:05 GMT
>   Server: Apache/2.2.13 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.13 OpenSSL/0.9.8k PHP/5.3.0 DAV/2
>   Connection: close
> Length: unspecified [text/plain]
><....stuff removed>

Can someone validate if they are also experiencing this issue?

Thanks,
Glen

[1]https://listserv.nd.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S2=CODE4LIB&q=&s=character-sets+for+dummies&f=&a=&b=
[2]http://www.tictocs.ac.uk/text.php

--
Glen Newton | [log in to unmask]
Researcher, Information Science, CISTI Research