Thomas Krichel <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>   Joe Hourcle writes
> > ps.  yes, I could've used this response as an opportunity to bash
> > PHP ...  and I didn't, because they might be learning PHP to
> > migrate it to something else.
>
>   controversial ;-)
>
>   what's the problem(s) with PHP?

Oh please don't nuke the list from orbit like that!  I hope that
this is a balanced enough reply to keep everyone happy:

Our experience is that PHP hosting environments vary much more, most
PHP code is a mess (PHP-based software was part of 35% of the
U.S. government's National Vulnerability Database in 2008 -
http://www.coelho.net/php_cve.html) and few things (code and hosting)
move between the different major versions smoothly.  It's a "personal
home page" tool which has grown massively, for better or worse.

BUT! Even after all that, software.coop still supports some PHP
applications because they can work well and be very useful, though
we're under no illusions about PHP's warts.

Hope that helps,
--
MJ Ray (slef)  Webmaster and LMS developer at     | software