I definitely agree with Bill here.  There is a definitely a totemistic
attitude about vim or emacs being "all the IDE I need".  Knowing your
way around vim (or possibly emacs) is certainly important -- after
all, everybody has to eventually fix something remotely -- but just
languages, some editors look or feel better.

My basic credo is that I want to find the absolute least resistance
between what I see in my head and what eventually gets run.  This
applies to my office chair, my keyboard, my monitor, operating system,
editor, language, SCM, deployment manager, etc.  Every layer provides
amperage that must be accounted for.

Because in the end, I'm spending 8+ hours a day, 5+ days a week
looking at and working on this setup; I might as well be comfortable.

Personally, I use TextMate for practically all the code I write.  I
don't actually use all the features that generally draw people to
TextMate (SCM integration, macros for automating certain tasks in
particular languages/frameworks, etc.) at all.  I just like the way it
looks, it's relatively lean and I can easily cut and paste (which is
my major knock on the character-based editors).  I have a mouse,
dammit, so let me use it.

I also use NetBeans, sometimes, although, honestly, it's only when I
need to run SQL queries against JDBC databases anymore.

If I was a "real developer" (meaning I wrote code intended to be
compiled, etc.), I couldn't imagine not using something like NetBeans
or Eclipse to automate some of the tedium.

-Ross.