On Mon, 25 Jan 2010, Edward M. Corrado wrote:

> I never had a problem in the couple of times I crossed a border into Canada
> for a library conference, but I tend to make sure I have the program and
> hotel information readily available to show them in case they ask (yes, the
> Canadian border people have looked at it). My guess is that some of the
> border guards think only old ladies with hair buns can be librarians so they
> might be a bit confused when someone that doesn't meet that description tries
> to cross the boarder.

I've only been to Canada once (for last year's ASIS&T), and the only
question I had difficulty in answering was "who do you work for", for
which I probably confused the guy with an explanation of US government
contracting.

It's not as bad as Israel, where I've heard some people have been asked to
give their presentation for the conference, when they said that's why they
were visiting.

-Joe