Eric,

What's great about some of these systems is that there are modules written
to do exactly what you are talking about. For example there is a Drupal
module that will allow to export your Wordpress site and import it into
Drupal. Most of the PHP/MySQL CMSs I've played with have an underlying
framework that makes this much easier than messing with the database tables
natively.

Also, many of these systems are looking to expose their data in structured
ways which can be accessed by other systems. So web services are becoming a
big part of these systems. I believe that Silverstripe has web services
natively and there are several web sevice modules for Drupal.

In terms of vendor lock in, I just don't see it that way. Because Wordpress
and Drupal are open source, support can be provided from a variety of
vendors. Many Drupal "vendors" contribute modules and other code. Because of
this variety you aren't reliant on a single provider to chose to continue to
support a particular product. If an open source CMS does go away then many,
many community members will be doing migration and it is VERY likily that
migraiton scripts/modules will get written and shared with the community.
Certainly I saw this when huge numbers of blogs migrated from Movable Type
to Wordpress.

Hope this helps.

Karen