Han, Yan wrote:
> Hello, Colleagues,
> Does anyone know/use any OCR software working on handwritten pages? or at least think it is better than hiring a student key-in.
> I know these OCR software such as ABBYY, but they do not work on handwriting.

Most 'handwriting recognition' systems are highly dependent on the
script being used. Block capitals are relatively easy; idiosyncratic
flowing, cursive script very hard.

Interactive systems effectively train their users to write in styles
legible to the system, which is not something that can be done with
existing corpora.

There are a number of commercial parties who do manual re-keying of
handwritten pages in locations where labour is cheap, and these are
likely to be your cheapest option for non-trivial volumes of text.

cheers
stuart
--
Stuart Yeates