Godmar,
We're using eXist for a couple of apps here, and like it quite a bit.

The full text search extensions in the 1.4 release are backed by Lucene,
and it's pretty quick once you've tuned it (try some searches here:
http://diglib.princeton.edu/ead/ -- this is running on a beta of 1.4)
and set up the indexing properly. Performance will not be good until
you've configured some indexes and tweaked the JVM settings. There is a
bit of a learning curve involved here, but the documentation is decent,
and the community and developers are quite active and accessible.

You can GET and PUT and DELETE documents very easily, or POST xqueries
to get fragments.  You can also GET fragments or documents by supplying
parameters to an xquery stored in the database--they call this their
"REST-style API"[1].  There are a few other ways to get content in and
out[2], and Java integration isn't a problem via the xml:db API[3].  You
can also write extension modules in Java.

-Jon

1. http://exist.sourceforge.net/devguide_rest.html
2. http://exist.sourceforge.net/devguide.html
3. http://exist.sourceforge.net/devguide_xmldb.html