Americans can no longer get into Canada without passports, even driving
accross the border.  Not even a birth certificate will do anymore.
Officially this went into effect last spring sometime, but they had a
delayed grace period, which I'm guessing is up, or at least I wouldn't
want to risk it.

(And, indeed, i remember when I could get into Canada over the Detroit
River just saying "American, going for lunch.")