I reckon if you are building webapps either get into Rails (as you know ruby this should be simple) or get into Grails as Brad suggests.
Both are pretty powerful, have interesting and active communities and there are sufficient ruby and java library libraries for library related development.

If you prefer to work with PHP then I can recommend CodeIgniter as a MVC framework. It's not the only one. But I have enjoyed developing php using it.

Have fun :)

Terence