I realize you didn't want to start a religious war nor were you
interested in the abstract reasons people chose a particular language,
that being said...

I honestly think choosing the best* development language is very
similar to how one settles on politics, religion, diet, etc.
Environment plays a part, of course, but, in the end, what generally
works best is the language that jibes best with you and your
personality.  Since you've dabbled with several different languages,
you've had to have come across this - some languages just "feel
better" than others.  This is, however, an entirely personal choice.

Dan Chudnov, for example, seems to think in Python.  When I tried
Python, it never really clicked -- I muddled through a few projects
but never really got it.  I then got introduced to Ruby, everything
made sense, and I never looked back.  I recently did a project in
Groovy/Grails and my takeaway was that it was a scripting language
that only somebody that had spent their career as a Java developer
could love.  My coworker (who has spent his career as a Java
developer) LOVES Groovy.  He thinks Ruby is a Fisher-Price language.
To each their own.

Since you don't seem to have institutional constraints on what you can
develop in, I would recommend you try something like this:

Take a handful of languages that look interesting to you and try
writing a simple app to take some of your data, model it and shove it
into Solr and make an interface to look at it.  Solr's pretty perfect
for this sort of project:  it's super simple to work with and
immediately gives you something powerful and versatile to wrap your
app around.  If you can't make something useful quickly around Solr,
then move on to the next language because that one's not for you.

If the ones that click happen to be PHP, Python or Ruby, well, there
you go.  If not, I, for one, look forward to your new Lua (or
whatever) based discovery interface.

Ultimately, any project you choose for your discovery interface is
going to require a lot of customization to make it work the way you
want -- the key is finding the environment that stands the least in
the way between turning what's in your head into a working app.

Good luck,
-Ross.